Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Emotions can be blinding

You're driving down the road at night. Maybe you're making a turn or passing another car when their headlights shine in your eyes and you're blinded. You hope there's nothing in the road in front of you. Maybe you slow down a little; maybe you speed up to get past them faster. Either way, you're temporarily blinded and you freak out just a little. Your heart races a little; your breathing stops for a second. All this happens within seconds and then you're clear. No accident; nothing bad happened; you keep moving on.

That's how I sometimes feel with my BPD. My emotions can just blind me. I can be going along in my life, doing just fine, when someone does something that pisses me off or depresses me. Then I freak out and I forget where I'm going in life. I don't see anything in front of me; I'm just blinded by the rage or the depression. Once it passes, it's like it never happened. But instead of just going straight, I veer off my road of life. Then my life GPS has to recalculate my route while I go to the hospital, break up with a fiance, move to another city, or find another job. 

I'm hoping to keep my emotions in check. I've been doing well as of late. But, honestly, I fear that one little slip, one blinding moment, can fling me back into the hospital: broken, lost and confused. I hope I can just keep moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment